Saturday, 31 May 2008

Half Term

Well I have been away from blogging all week with it being half term and all that. However, there has been plenty of activity in the Quilty house over the week so it may take a few posts to catch up on it all.
Firstly, on Tuesday I went to meet a lovely young woman called Rosie who is the daughter of one of my school colleagues. She has recently graduated from Uni and is in the process of setting up her own business selling bespoke wedding tiaras and hair accessories. She is the most talented person I have met in a while and I was in total in awe of her creations. You can find her brand new website here
 . She is hoping to have a little bit of work for me in the near future so it was a sort of informal interview. We had a good chat and I did a bit of sewing so she could see my needlework skills. It was a very exciting and inspiring afternoon. Rosie is also a finalist in the if we can you can entrepreneurs competition and would love some extra votes, so if you like what you see you can vote by texting "Challenge Rosie Willett" to 0762 480 3199 or email "challenge Rosie Willett"to stephen@ifwecanyoucan.co.uk. Right that's my plug done, I have all my fingers crossed for her.

On the sewing side, the girls and I have been doing a little bit more on our Family Flower Garden quilt. We started it 2 summers ago and it comes out every holiday. The girls sew the flowers and I sew it all together and add the pathway.
It's going to take many years to complete but we are having so much fun making it. (you can just see Flat Maya inspecting the work) It will become a family heirloom and will be treasured for years to come.
We had a little trip to Babara's wool shop, where I indulged myself with a nice selection. (forgot to take photos of wool) I also got a picture of Flat Maya posing in the window. I must have looked nuts photographing a cardboard cut out, but who cares.
The new wool has been put to use already and I have created 2 new softies. Hopefully I'll post the pattern as soon as a write it up.
The largest one is called Ziggy and the smaller one is called Boing. (I've yet to photograph Boing)

They are very silly but I love them. Plus I had a go at knitting in beads while I was making them and I'm very pleased with the results. It was far easier than I thought.
I also made some more crochet items, I'll post those later.
There was another shopping trip to a little home style shop where I bought one or two things for my bedroom. I still need to photo them, but I need to clean my room first!!!!

The week has passed very fast and I don't want it to end, having time with my girls is so much fun, I miss them when they go back to school.
However it will give me time to work on the many swaps I have signed up for.
Maree and I are doing a mini quilt swap as she missed Lucy's.
pink petal designs is having a kitchen themed swap.
Katy is having a Russian dolls swap
and there's a knitted babe style challenge about to start on Ravelry.
So I am going to be one busy girl.
Will post more half term goodies later when i have caught up on the housework!

13 comments:

pink-petal-designs said...

Hi Clare, you have been busy, the quilt that you and your girls are making is sooo lovely, you are going to treasure that for years to come, love it.
i love your knitted Ziggy !!
Swap partners are up on my blog now.
Sarah x

Joan said...

hi clare! love the post, busy girl! :) and knitting with beads -- wow! i've never done yet and am so inspired! ziggy is so cute -- love the stripes and button eyes! the quilt is precious all around and that's exciting on the wedding hair designs...i'm sure you wowed her with your sewing skills...good things to come! happy weekend! :)

best wishes,
joan x

Rachelmp said...

Hi Clare. I just love your flower garden quilt and that you and your girls can do it through the years. What a beautiful heirloom x Rachel

Charlie P said...

Aww, I like Ziggy :)
I can't believe how amazing Rosie's designs are, she's seriously talented. Lucky you getting to work for her!

Penny said...

Hi Clare, I just love your quilt!!! I think though that you're gonna need to make two of them eventually though so your daughters don't have to cut it in half down the road!!

Lucy Locket-Pocket said...

Your quilt is gorgeous - I wish we could do something like that but I know it would end up unfinished! I can't remember - are you doing it around papers? If so where did you get the template for the hexagon? I want to have a play at a mini one! I love your new knitting designs too - really funky!

lucy x

Farmyard Crafts said...

Your quilt is a beautiful idea! I think that's awesome that together you can make it and it's got so much sentimental value for you all. :) A beautiful heirloom. Look how busy you've been - lots of new projects on the go!!

michelle said...

Oh what fun! My kids still have two more weeks. I had to go right over and sign up for the russian doll swap! It was kind of cheating though, I already have a bunch made! Maybe I will get you, wouldn't that be fun!

Sarahs Home said...

Hi, I love your quilt. How lovely to do this with your girls.. How old are they?

I love Barbaras shop, I could spend a fortune.

Sarah x

Katy said...

I love your quilt! What a great idea to have a family made heirloom.
Loving the music today - i got fleetwood mac, reminds me of my youth!!!

For some reason hotmail doesn't like you today...can you email me with your address for the russian doll swap
katyejones at hotmail dot com, thanks!!!

annemarie said...

Beautiful quilt - I love ziggy and cannot wait for you to post the pattern. Your talent is amazing. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Rachael Rabbit said...

What wonderful knitted bunnies in the window too!!

Jen said...

I Love your garden quilt – what a gorgeous project for you and the girls – you know how much I love hexagon quilts. I love checking in to see what you have been up to! Jen