Thursday, 5 June 2008

Surprise Post and Boing Pattern.


This morning there was a knock on my door at 7.15am. Who on earth could be calling at this time of the morning? The postman of course!
He handed me a rather big cardboard box and went on his way. What could this be I wondered, I wasn't expecting anything. "Mum, what have you ordered this time?" came the cries from my daughters.
Well, nothing. (this time). Looking carefully at the label I realised it was from my new blog friend
Joan of the adventures of Maya , now I got excited.
So I plonked on my bed and proceeded to open the box. I was totally blown away by the contents.

There was a note book, a scrap book kit, a memo pad, and a gorgeous bag containing, stickers, soap, printed tissues and a bracelet. The bag supports a breast cancer fund (something that is very poignant to me) and the beads are made by and help support women in Africa.


I wasn't expecting this parcel today and I want to say a big Thank You to Joan for the thought she put into my gifts. You are a one in a million friend and I am so glad I commented on your first blog and have started to get to know you. if you were here in the UK and not in USA I'd give you a big hug, so instead I'm sending them out in cyberspace. You have brightened up my day no end.

I am so amazed at how generous and caring my new blog friends are. I love you all.
Now onto the promised pattern for Boing!

Assorted colours of DK yarn


3mm knitting needles


Small piece of felt for eyes2 buttons for eyes


yarn needle.


Instructions. (make 2)
I made stripes of varying widths on Boing’s body. The graph pattern for mine is below, but play around with the stripes to get a look that suits you. I also knitted in some beads just for fun.




  • Cast on 15 stitches in your favourite method. (I use the thumb method)

  • Work in stocking stitch for 6 rows.

  • Cast on 5 stitches at the beginning of the next 2 rows. 25 stitches

  • Work in stocking stitch for 32 rows.

  • Decrease 1 stitch at either end of next and following 4 alternate rows.15 stitches.

  • Purl 1 row

  • Knit 5, cast off 5, knit 5. You will now work on these 5 stitches to do first ear.

  • Purl

  • Work 4 rows in stocking stitch

  • Dec 1 stitch at either end of next row.

  • Purl

  • Cast off.

  • Rejoin yarn to second ear and complete to match first.

To make up.

The base is shaped to form a "paper bag bottom".With right sides together join the cast on edges at the base. Join side seams and across the top and ears leaving a small gap for turning right side out. Match the side seam to the base seam and sew the small edge closed (see diagram for Ziggy below)This forms the paper bag bottom.
Turn right side out and stuff firmly.
Sew opening closed.
Add eyes and any other detail you want.

And there you have it. Enjoy! I'd love to see pictures from anyone who does make Ziggy and Boing so email me if you have a go.

11 comments:

Joan said...

thank you clare, it was my pleasure and i'm glad you liked it! :) i'm thrilled it (finally) arrived! hee hee

best wishes,
joan x

pink-petal-designs said...

what a lovely package, lucky you ! Thanks for the pattern, i will have to have a go at one.
Sarah x

Charlie P said...

Wow, how generous is Joan?! That's a great parcel. The unexpected ones are the best :)
Thanks for the Boing pattern, I love the colours you've used for him and Ziggy...again it's on the do-do list AFTER all the manic crocheting!
x

Sarahs Home said...

What a lovely way to start the day, lucky you !!

Sarah x

Lucy Locket-Pocket said...

Boing is fantastic and what a gorgeous parcel of goodies from Joan - what a brill way to start the day!!!

Rachelmp said...

What a great package Clare!

Katy said...

wow - what a great package!!! (I get the 'what have you bought now?' comments from my lot too...cheeky blighters)

TattingChic said...

What a fun and wonderful package to get in the mail from your friend. What a fun Surprise! I think it's so sweet. I'm happy for your. Your knitted pattern is cute. I wonder if I could tat it...LOL...I'm just kidding.

Kitty said...

Bloggy parcels are the best, aren't they?

Thanks for these two patterns - I've bookmarked them both! x

Barbara/Ring-a-Rosie said...

I just love Boing and Ziggy. I'm thinking really bright Glace colours (I have a hugh stash of these!), and possibly some more beads or buttons.
Of course, I have all the time in the world!!

Barbara x

Ravenhill said...

Wow, soooo cute!!!