Wednesday, 6 April 2016

Grandmothers Flower Garden Quilt.

So many years ago I posted about a quilt I was making with my 4 daughters. We were going to make it during our summer holidays as a memory quilt. We chose the colours together, cut the paper pattern hexagons, tacked all the fabrics to the paper and carefully stitched the hexagons into flowers and the flowers onto the green garden using teeny tiny stitches. Here is an early picture, still very much work in progress:-
The quilt only ever came out during the Summer holidays, so varying amounts were completed each year. But slowly, bit by bit completed it was. It has taken 10 years to finally complete this work of love and it doesn't disappoint. Knowing that each tiny stitch has been created by my girls and myself over years of growing up and family changes, is just magical. When I think about the hours of love that has gone into this quilt it makes me tear up. Yes some of the stitches may need repair, after all my youngest daughter was only 6 when we started! But, wow, it is breathtaking. I can't think of a nicer way to share memories than stitching them into a quilt.
Here it is gently blowing dry after it's first wash.
 I'm thinking of starting another one now they are almost grown up, one to share with grandchildren when they eventually cone along, we'll see.

No comments: