Sunday, 24 April 2016

Little Box Of Crochet

I have been trying out a number of subscription boxes over the last year and here is a review of the most recent one I received.

Amanda Bloom's Little Box Of Crochet.

I came across this box via a friend on a social media site.
Each month you receive a cute little box filled with all you need to complete a crochet project.
Amanda started the subscription box after her daughter became ill and she needed to find work that would enable her to care for her daughter, but also be rewarding and fulfil her need for creativity. You can read her story here:Amanda's story. A truly wonderful way to work.
So what's in the box?
The first thing that struck me was how beautifully wrapped it all was. The yellow box is so cheerful and very sturdy and the contents were tightly nestled in pink tissue paper.
Inside I found a booklet with the written pattern and information about the designer, the yarn and the stitch marker maker. The pattern itself is well written with clear photographs to accompany each step. This months designer is Alia Bland from The Little Bee. Check out her site.
 There were 5 balls of Rico Cotton Essentials DK yarn weighed for the project. I have used this yarn before, it is a strong cotton for detailed crochet as it holds it shape well. The colours are also very vibrant. I do find that it splits very easily though which can be frustrating in crochet especially when working on small items.
Also included was a 3.5mm crochet hook, a darning needle, a project bag, a herbal tea bag and a really cute stitch marker by Beth Chapman of Korutumi
It's a beautiful project box and this morning I made a start on the project Bellberry Garland. It is quite intricate but using easy stitches like dc and tr it's easy to follow. Even a beginner able to do these stitches could follow, as the photos are so clear.
Here is my first little bellberry. Looking forward to completing them all.
For details of subscriptions look here:-subscriptions

(I bought this subscription box with my own money and the views and opinions expressed are my own.)

No comments: