Sunday, 17 April 2016

Sketch Book Club

  So another little creative activity that has crept into my life this last year is drawing and painting. I took art at high school, both O' level and A'level and wanted to go on and study art at Uni but was put off by the many comments from parents, teachers etc who told me it was a waste of time and should be kept for a hobby only.  So I listened and toed the line like the good girl I was. Drawing/ painting took a back seat and eventually I stopped altogether.
That is until last summer when I stumbled across Jennie Maizels Sketch Book Club. Wow! Not only is Jennie and amazing illustrator but she also teaches art from her own studios. Now I live too far from her home to attend any classes but to my delight she has started running an online course. Just what I needed as I feel very rusty. So I signed up and last summer holidays my daughters and I spent one afternoon a week doing art.
Every afternoon was so relaxing and a truely lovely way to spend quality time with my girls. 
The work we produced may not have been gallery worthy but we had fun creating it and that's really all that matters. The modules included were, houses, fish, washing line and bugs. Each module uses a different technique and/or medium and Jennie guides you through the new methods introduced.

Each module has a video of Jennie showing you how to create the picture for the week. There is a list of resources needed (all of which you can buy from Jennies website), a selection of reference pictures that you can download and use as prompts for your drawings and full printed instructions. There is also a InstaGram group for you to share your finished art. It is very well written and put together.
 The way I used it was to set up all the resources needed. Then we sat and watched Jennie demonstrate, before finally getting busy ourselves. Jennie has a lovely gentle voice and is easy yo listen to. She also makes it look so easy! She does offer hints and tips on how to make things simpler, like tracing the pictures or drawing around shapes. She says it's not cheating, it just ensures you get a pleasing finish which is important if you want to take pride in your work.
 So we completed the first course and then the books got put away. 
Fortunately Jennie released a second sketchbook club - Course 2 . So the sketch books have come back out. This time the modules are :- Nature table, Jewels, Tea time and owls.  I have completed the first 2 and feel pleased with the results.

                                                                               

No comments: